Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Waiting to Exhale

I have been hearing the term "Waiting to  Exhale" every since the movie came out over thirteen years ago when I was eleven years old. This phrase is now used in sentences and households everywhere, describing how a woman knew that her husband was hers when she first met him. Describing how a wonderful first date ended, or a how a love so strong began. I never understood why they described this as "Exhaling". I mean right now I am single, but yet I am breathing, so therefore I didn't stop breathing because my heart got broken. I didn't stop breathing because I got rejected by a man I really cared about and loved. I didn't stop breathing because I was betrayed by a man I cared for who decided that he wanted someone else. I never stopped exhaling.
   I have never said "I am waiting to exhale", nor have I ever attended "Waiting to Exhale" parties. Where a group of women go out to a bar, a party, a club or some other social event to try to meet a man hoping to exhale. Exhale. So the only way you are going to breathe deep,and breathe slow  is if you have a man? The only way you feel secure enought to breathe is if you have a man?
  I breathe deep, slow, and long while I am single because I am alive, healthy, and blessed beyond. I don't need the opposite sex to breathe, to live, to be happy. Every woman needs a husband, do not get me wrong, but in the mean time if you are single to dwell on "exhaling". Don't search for that man so that you can "exhale" or "breathe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment